Towards the end of August 2018, I was approached by the team at MOVE IT as they were looking for a Creative Producer to start ASAP. Working with Creative Directors Kate Scanlan and Tia Hassan, this was an opportunity to develop my experience in large-scale event management. From programming to artist liaison to scheduling – I was buzzing to bring my skills to the table.
About MOVE IT
MOVE IT is the world’s biggest and best dance event, celebrating all forms of dance and the performing arts across three amazing days. No matter what level you are, MOVE IT has something for every dancer, teacher, spectator and professional and promises to bring you some of the most exciting features alongside the hottest artists and talent.
Taking place 8-10 March 2019 at the ExCel Centre, MOVE IT sees over 30,000 visitors come through its doors annually – to learn from some of the best artists, companies, schools and to connect with the latest brands through retail and ambassador opportunities.
Since joining the team in October 2018, I have been responsible for:
- Programming 250 dance and performing arts classes across the weekend.
- Programming 150 performances on the Main Stage.
- Programming 20 seminars covering topics from “How To Build a Dance School/Studio” to “How To Be A Brand Ambassador” to “Life As A Professional Dancer”.
- Securing Headline Artists.
- Artist Liaison.
- Supporting line-management of interns.
- Copy-writing, including: writing host notes, backstage interview questions, seminar provocations for discussion, editing Headline Artist interviews and writing the show guide welcome message.
- Naming dance studios
- Plus about 100 other things!
My proudest achievement at MOVE IT has been tripling the number of Dancehall classes at the show and having them reach 97% capacity. That’s over 650 people learning Dancehall across the weekend – a MOVE IT first!
I am also chuffed that I was able to name the dance studios after some incredible artists, including dubbing two of our largest studios ‘Bogle’ and (Katherine) ‘Dunham’.
I was able to secure brand new Headline Artists for the show, such as the incredible Olu Alatise, Company Chameleon, Layton Williams and Jasmin Vardimon Company who delivered Masterclasses, Intensives, featured on Panel Discussions and took to the Main Stage.
MOVE IT 2019 has been an incredible experience. It was my first time working as part of a corporate events company and I’ve learnt so much! I’m still feeling really inspired by the amazing talent who taught, performed or took part at the show and can’t wait to see what next year brings.
MOVE IT 2020 13-15 March – see you there!